Forum »
It came from Linksville!

Moik

Starman Super
To me, the big one is #4.

The last PC game I bought at full retail was StarCraft. I've bought maybe six games off the shelf, ever, and they were on deep sale. Most games I've actually paid for have been from the bargain bin. Price point is not something to ignore. Gamers are not going to "work a bit harder" to pay more for games.

It used to be that a hardcore gamer spent 500$ a year to buy ten games. Nowadays, half of that is taken up by a random MMO. the remaining 250$ can maybe buy three games.

So it used to be a game could make it into the top 100 and be a survivor, now only the top 30 are survivors. Games like Madden and Halo 2 got their big unusual sales counts because the more limited purchases were migrating to the "sure things".

The pie is getting bigger, but there are fewer slices. This will kill diversity. With less options, people will be less interested in gaming.

By Nintendo ditching HD and limiting costs and resulting prices, they allow themselves more diversity by not turning their market into an Elites competition. That greater diversity will attract more people.

Most of their complaints about "games all being the same" stem from that one price issue. Most of the list stems from item 4.
Hyper-advanced aliens might not have to send their interstellar battle fleet to conquer Earth, it might only take three bored undergraduate aliens with borrowed lab equipment.

ioev

Starman DX
This is all very true.

ELYK11

Starman Jr.
I definatly agree with 1... at this rate we'll have enough WWII FPS to tell it from the perspective of every soldier who fought in it.

sevex

Starman DX
Yeah that list was pretty good, but a lot of it is all quite obvious so it's more of a conversation starter than an informative article. I'm glad they ripped on the endless stream of WWII games and gung-ho marine characters.

I agree #11 was kinda lame though. Is there anyone out there that really wants to see a "normal" girl in a game? They're made for entertainment... and in case anyone isn't paying attention, there aren't too many ugly male characters in games either.
"Hey, you! If you meet a beautiful, seductive woman who's looking for me, tell her 'hi.' Anyway, I don't think a woman like that would be looking for me." -Guy in Fourside Hotel

Moik

Starman Super
some of these impressions are spot-on, some aren't. This is good counterpoint.
Hyper-advanced aliens might not have to send their interstellar battle fleet to conquer Earth, it might only take three bored undergraduate aliens with borrowed lab equipment.

sevex

Starman DX
Mostly for Noel and Krista.
"Hey, you! If you meet a beautiful, seductive woman who's looking for me, tell her 'hi.' Anyway, I don't think a woman like that would be looking for me." -Guy in Fourside Hotel

sevex

Starman DX
Joey says: May want to start avoiding Sodium Benzoate for the time being...

He also suggests...

Gatsu

Starman Super
I'm glad I basically cut out pop.
-_o

Atomsk

Starman Super
Emo News Report
"We're not retreating, we're advancing towards future victory!" - Sarge, Red vs. Blue web series.

ioev

Starman DX
I sure hope that I don't catch the emo...