Forum »
My Personal War on Eastlink

milocat51

Starman Super
Sorry to steal your thunder, Tyler, but I'm having my own little war right now, and I need to vent. Some of this will be a repeat from when I last bumped it.

So here's what happened. My internet bill from Eastlink automatically comes out of my bank account every month on the 24th. Last month, unbeknownst to me, Eastlink accidentally withdrew the bill on the 13th, and then immediately deposited the same amount back. This, however, didn't prevent my account from running an overdraft, which my bank charged me for the next day.

I didn't know any of this, and sometime later deposited what I thought was the correct amount of money (didn't see the negative sign). Then upon further investigation, I discovered what happened.

I called Eastlink and managed to make sense of what happened. They agreed to credit the amount of the overdraft charge to my account once I sent a statement to them showing the charge. I did so.

I received my notice of withdrawal from Eastlink today. Regular amount. I called them, and after working through about three different people who didn't know directly what was going on, I got in touch with a representative specifically handling this case. Seems like a nice lady, but then what she tells me is that not only had they not gotten my letter yet, but that since Eastlink payed into my account, I actually owed them money. You know how these types are, with baffling explanations, I believed it for a second. After hanging up, I sat there looking at my bank balance sheet for about five minutes before calling up again. Worked my way through the clueless people to the same representative. Turns out TD bank, my bank, was one of the exceptions to the rule. Or something.

So I have to go down to my bank tomorrow and find out for sure, then call her back and say. Good thing too, because I didn't want to have go explain why I need 100 bucks for my internet bill this month, which makes no sense anyway.

Ah, typing that made me feel better. You all probably don't care, but nevertheless, there's my little adventure.
I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work.

Dark-Fear

Starman Jr.
Ask it would seem it was a miss communication with Billing... and more a problem with your bank as much Eastlink.. though in further confrontations record the persons name you talk to that way you can focus your rage on one hapless employee and maybe make the break down :D or shove the manager on.. rage== credit on account ask to speak to a manger and attempt to make it sound like your about to cure someone down.... and explain to them how you got the one two screw around and are about the leave there service... it would seem I have not yet been capped since my incident though I got a warning but I continued on my path ... my next contact if it happened involved the Better Business Bureau and a nice letter to the editor of the journal on selecting the right ISP... ;)
I stare out into the light from the darkness, only to wonder what it is I'm missing. Fear not what can be seen in the light of day, but what lurks in the dark and can not.

milocat51

Starman Super
No, its not my bank's fault. The bill comes out automatically the same time every month. It's not their fault that Eastlink did it on the wrong date. They told me as much last time I was down there. And I know the name of the woman I talked to who's handling this whole fiasco directly. She even gave me the number that connects me straight to her desk.

I probably would give them more crap over it if I wasn't cancelling my service in August anyway. What's worse, I dunno if you got this or not Tyler but my net was down most of the day yesterday, due to "severe technical difficulties" according to their tech support line. Maybe it was the day before, my perception of time is vastly incoherent...

Eastlink, from my limited experience, sucks, then again I don't really have much experience in the area, at least as far as high speed ISP's are concerned. All the dialup providers we've been with suck too... at least our current one, Sympatico, doesn't overcharge us.
I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work.

Atomsk

Starman Super
Tyler... They didn't buzz off about the whole going over your bandwidth limit cause they were afriad of you leaving or going over to the competetor. They were scared shitless because of the Better Business Bureau.

All Kyle has to do is write a letter to them about how they're handling his case at the moment, and Eastlink will be under the microscore alot seriously this time. One or two cases of shit going on is abit, but.. once you get into more complaints then that... then.. Well the Better Business Bureau is going to take a better look at how they run their services.

Kyle, its really stupid how they're jewing you over like that, its not right.. they should pay for all the balances and such because its their idiot fault that caused this whole mishap. Its a stupid mistake but its THEIR mistake, you did nothing wrong, it was all them. Asking you to pay for someone elses mistake is bullshit.
"We're not retreating, we're advancing towards future victory!" - Sarge, Red vs. Blue web series.

milocat51

Starman Super
Well the way it happened was, they accidentally took a lot of people's bills out on that date. Once they realized what happened, they immediately payed the amount back into all of those accounts. The problem is, some banks didn't allow the transfer, so what happened was the original incorrect transfer didn't happen, but the deposit back in did. I guess that's what the woman thought happened to me, which it didn't. I'm confirming things with the bank tomorrow but its mostly finished up now. Even if they had deposited money into my account by accident, I sure as hell wasn't going to give it back. I call that a 'present'.

Dark-Fear

Starman Jr.
Actually Noel... it had alot to do with the fact I carried out my threats to them... the petition.. the BBB letter and I said you know I have done all i said I would do... now heres what im gonna do next unless I get results... very unfortunate they did that to yah Kyle but as you said it was a *Accident* and most people had no incident but your bank didnt allow it from what I hear and keeping money that was placed in there in err is dishonest.
I stare out into the light from the darkness, only to wonder what it is I'm missing. Fear not what can be seen in the light of day, but what lurks in the dark and can not.

milocat51

Starman Super
I should clarify that my bank did allow them to take the cash, although I wish they hadn't, since it overdrafted my account. The lady thought my bank didn't allow the transfer.

Dark-Fear

Starman Jr.
Well, as of today June 17th,2003 10:30 AM I have formally declared war on Eastlink again... The person in charge of customer care is suppose to call me some time soon and I'm giving her a final altamadum... I'm willing to go back to Islandtel for it to. If they do no cease and desist with these lame caps or give me a alternative to being *Slowed* to dial-up speeds I will send a nice *Dear Editor* letter and another complaint to the Better Business Bureau and I will not call them off. This time I will notify the BBB of their unfair contracting terms and how fraudulent there adverts are and have no mention of being *SLowed* upon set limit.

Dark-Fear

Starman Jr.
And again I get letters of appology from eastlink :D

Dear EastLink High Speed Internet customer,

Thank you for bringing your concerns regarding EastLink’s High Speed Internet service to our attention.

EastLink is committed to providing our customers with the fastest residential high-speed Internet service at a competitive price. Because we purchase the bandwidth we offer to our customers, EastLink must efficiently manage our network and operating costs to ensure a fast and affordable service for all our High Speed Internet users. In fact, the speed of our High Speed Internet service has been the driving force for its success and growth, and our goal is to ensure our customers continue to get the speed they want, when they want it.

EastLink’s recent efforts to manage our network are mainly focused on approximately 1% of High Speed Internet customers whose Internet activity is outside the acceptable use policy for our residential service. We are contacting these customers to provide them with information on how they can better manage their online activity. Because EastLink’s efforts to manage our network and costs are focused on such a small percentage of users, they will have no effect on the experience or use of our service by approximately 99 per cent of our High Speed Internet customers.

We would also like to apologize for the posting that appears to have originated from an internal EastLink IP address in response to the petition on our service. These remarks in no way reflect the thoughts or opinions of EastLink. We have always, and will continue to look to the needs of our customers in developing and delivering our products and services. Over the coming months, we will be conducting further research on the changing requirements of our High Speed Internet users to measure their support for our current policies, and see how we can better serve their needs in the future.

Your comments and feedback on our service are greatly appreciated. Our objective is to ensure that all of our customers continue to receive the fastest, most affordable residential High Speed Internet service in the Maritimes.

Please note that you will also receive a mailed copy of this response within the next couple of days.

Sincerely,

Betty Hutchings

Director of Customer Care

Ahh dont it make you feel all warm inside knowing the care about their customers so much? :D

Atomsk

Starman Super
Yes, it does.. They care so much that they give you some cookie-cutter automated letter. God... I really hate those things. People need to be more personal with their mail, but.. I suppose it keeps them from accidently wording something wrong, and offending people (Laugh, but its happened before).
"We're not retreating, we're advancing towards future victory!" - Sarge, Red vs. Blue web series.