Forum »
Prince of Persia ---aaahhhh

Prax

Starman Jr.
Ya, ya, all the reviews say PoP is great. They all say it's "game of the year". Well...

They're all right.

I was going to wait for the PC version to be released so I could simply download it, but I caved today and purchased the XBOX version. Fnck! The gameplay is unbelievable! I never cared for any of the previous PoP games, none of them ever did anything more that piss me off royally; the games were just too stiff. But the new PoP is so incredibly amazing to play and look at; it's smoooooth. Details aplenty are here in this game. I've played through a few areas so far and while I've gotten stuck a few times already and I'm sure I'll get to points later on that will make me want to off myself (or at least my XBOX) I'm gonna finish this SOB. It's why console game systems exist.
Casual Hex - casualhex.com | "People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." -Alan Kay

milocat51

Starman Super
Downloading PC games, bah. I only do that for abandonware. I believe the game industry deserves our support.
I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work.

sevex

Starman DX
And according to IGN, Gamecube has the best version!
"Hey, you! If you meet a beautiful, seductive woman who's looking for me, tell her 'hi.' Anyway, I don't think a woman like that would be looking for me." -Guy in Fourside Hotel

Prax

Starman Jr.
Ya, it was a hard decision. Gamecube or XBOX? The muffled sound thing on Gamecube got me though. Would it have really been so bad?

If I'd played a demo before there wouldn't have been any doubt in my mind about buying the game. But I couldn't find a demo of PoP for Gamecube (or XBOX for that matter) at Best Buy or Walmart to try out.

Downloading takes an hour? Burning to a CDRW is quick. Spending $50 on a game I don't care for is wasteful. Im gonna do the same with KOTOR. If I like it, you can bet I'll buy it. If a KOTOR demo is released for PC then Ill get that instead of the full game.

Whatever the case, PoP rocks.
Casual Hex - casualhex.com | "People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." -Alan Kay

Prax

Starman Jr.
IGN Head-to-head Final Verdict

Sands of Time threw us more than a few mysteries -- but we persevered and manage to understand them. If you're looking for overall appeal, not focusing on just one element like audio or visuals, Xbox gives you the most complete package; solid visuals, great sound, and more extra features than the others add up nicely.

Meanwhile, GameCube is an excellent choice if you can get past the compressed audio. Run it in progressive scan on your TV (or not) and its visuals are more crisp, vibrant and impacting than the others. It doesn't have the polygon count of Xbox, but the overall display is vivid and impressive when compared to the darker, more dull output of Xbox and PS2.

As for the PlayStation 2, it still looks great but the framerate more than anything holds it down. If you don't mind that, it doesn't suffer from the usual flickering and anti-aliasing problems we usually see with the platform.

Finally, remember as we said: controller choice will and should affect your overall experience of Sands of Time. They all have the same features, but think about what will play to your hand best.

Overall Winner:Xbox

Winner Ranking:
1. Xbox
2. GameCube
3. PlayStation 2

subpop

Starman Super
I'm sorry but... IGN sucks. Looks like they can't make up their mind... First they say that the Gamecube version is best? Then now the Xbox?...
You! Invaders! Get You the Hot Bullets of Shotgun to Die!

milocat51

Starman Super
IGN sucks... wow, what a revelation.
I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work.

sevex

Starman DX
Oh, I guess they just said the Gamecube version had the best graphics.
"Hey, you! If you meet a beautiful, seductive woman who's looking for me, tell her 'hi.' Anyway, I don't think a woman like that would be looking for me." -Guy in Fourside Hotel

Prax

Starman Jr.
I dont think anybody needs to remind me how much IGN sucks. But they are currenty the only site online that provides a head-to-head comparison.

As for the graphics, the XBOX version of PoP has excellent graphics. The Gamecube version graphics are more vibrant though. Not that I've seen the difference, but IGN claims them to be so. The XBOX graphics, again, are incredible enough for me.

It was a tough decision for me, picking between the two. If I could have tried both, maybe I'd have made a different decision. But, as I originally said, the muffled, compressed audio was enough to make me lean towards the XBOX version.

milocat51

Starman Super
Nowadays I'll just go for the Xbox version of anything simply to expand my library some. It's looking pretty pale in comparison to my Cube and PS2 collection.

Oh, and Gamespot will typically compare multiconsole games in their reviews of each. They probably wouldn't break it down that much, but they give an overall impression of which console version is strong in what areas.