Forum »
iRO hacked

milocat51

Starman Super
If any of you still have iRO accounts, you've probably already noticed this. I'm talking to someone online now who has an account. Appears a bunch of immature teenagers exploited some obvious security faults in Gravity's servers.

Here is a bunch of screenshots of the hackers in action. Here and here are screenshots containing people's usernames and passwords. I don't suggest you take advantage of this, I'm just posting to show you all what's happening. Apparently the entire list is available all over IRC...

And you're expected to pay for this?

EDIT: Looks like the pics were pulled. Just a bunch of people with INCREDIBLY high stats, anyway.
I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work.

sevex

Starman DX
Well this is seriously stupid. I'm not blaming RO though, those hackers should be beaten.
"Hey, you! If you meet a beautiful, seductive woman who's looking for me, tell her 'hi.' Anyway, I don't think a woman like that would be looking for me." -Guy in Fourside Hotel

milocat51

Starman Super
You might if you saw how they did it. They weren't very experienced, its just the security on the servers were incredibly lax. One of the hackers was as young as fourteen, I heard.

Gravity never admitted what was going on, either. Most people only found out about the hackers from the gloating hackers themselves.
I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work.

ioev

Starman DX
Well, you can see easily what they did. The servers were using microsoft database software for storing character information and accounts, but it wasn't configured correctly, as you can the the net bios port was open on the server. So they just used a copy of that same software, connected to the server, and ran queries to it. Though, they should have just informed the company about the security rather than exploit it.

I'm sure many users won't be happy paying for the service now, and they'll probably be refunding a lot of payments for accounts being deleted or modified.

Also, if you haven't noticed by now, the site is down.

milocat51

Starman Super
I guess the story is the kids broke in and gave them and their friends high level equip. The characters were, of course, very promptly deleted. This just pissed the kids off, and they took their scorn out on the servers.

And the fact that the little i in my topic title is bigger than all the other letters is starting to wierd me out...

sevex

Starman DX
WHY is it iRO and not RO anyway? I could never figure that out.
"Hey, you! If you meet a beautiful, seductive woman who's looking for me, tell her 'hi.' Anyway, I don't think a woman like that would be looking for me." -Guy in Fourside Hotel

milocat51

Starman Super
iRO is International Ragnarok Online. There are many other versions, but this is the only version people on a worldwide scale can participate in. It's also one of the few translated to english.

I know there are at least kRO and cRO versions.

Atomsk

Starman Super
The links no longer work because they removed that part.
"We're not retreating, we're advancing towards future victory!" - Sarge, Red vs. Blue web series.

Dark-Fear

Starman Jr.
try this link RO Hacked Article
I stare out into the light from the darkness, only to wonder what it is I'm missing. Fear not what can be seen in the light of day, but what lurks in the dark and can not.

sevex

Starman DX
Ahhh, I really hope I'm misunderstanding the most recent announcement, cause it looks like they've rolled back to the 19th AGAIN! I'll lost all I did in the last couple days with the double experience. (At least they're giving two additional bonus periods... but still!)