Forum »
funny

UglinessMan

Starman Jr.
i couldn't find the thread where someone mentioned the RinkWorks page, so i'll just paste the funny thing here:

Customer: "What's going to happen to my computer when the year 2000 hits? Will it just not work anymore, or what?"
Tech Support: "Actually, the year 2000 problem is this: it seems most of the computer code up until recently had been written assuming that the first two digits in the year of any date were "19." So basically, some of these applications, when the year 2000 rolls around, will reflect "1900," rather than "2000." Of course, there weren't any computers around in the year 1900, and so your computer will simply disappear."

After looking very concerned for a few seconds and saying nothing, I reassured him I was joking.
"Size isn't everything. The whale is endangered, while the ant continues to do just fine." - Bill Vaughan

UglinessMan

Starman Jr.
Customer: "There is smoke coming from the back of the computer. What should I do?"
Tech Support: "Get out of the computer room and call the fire department."
Customer: "Should I make a backup first?"
Customer: "Shouldn't I at least run the shutdown procedure?"

the scary thing is that these are based on actual events, not anecdotes or urban legends, RinkWorks fervently avoids those.
"Size isn't everything. The whale is endangered, while the ant continues to do just fine." - Bill Vaughan

UglinessMan

Starman Jr.
Tech Support: "Just call us back if there's a problem. We're open 24 hours."
Customer: "Is that Eastern time?"

subpop

Starman Super
Ahh yes, i've seen all those before. Nothing new. Everyone else has probably seen them too. :P
You! Invaders! Get You the Hot Bullets of Shotgun to Die!

milocat51

Starman Super
Hey Joey n Steven, is there a way to code the page so that any time anything new or interesting is posted, Andrew will automatically post that he's seen it before?

No? Well, just a thought.
I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work.

Dark-Fear

Starman Jr.
Yeah, just code it so that once loops all the responces build in his reply ..would save andrew the time of typing "Iv seen it before"
I stare out into the light from the darkness, only to wonder what it is I'm missing. Fear not what can be seen in the light of day, but what lurks in the dark and can not.

subpop

Starman Super
Well, what should I say? I haven't seen it before? :P would you guys just rather me be quiet and not say anything if i'd already seen it?
You! Invaders! Get You the Hot Bullets of Shotgun to Die!

milocat51

Starman Super
Good question. Hey, make that the next webpoll:

"If Andrew's seen something before, what do we want him to do?"

I'll leave the hilarious responses to you guys.
I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work.

milocat51

Starman Super
On topic, here are some tech support stories.

UglinessMan

Starman Jr.
yeah, yeah, it's all copy/paste, and of course andrew's seen it before, but this one was too good to pass up:

An unfailingly polite lady called to ask for help with a Windows installation that had gone terribly wrong.

Customer: "I brought my Windows disks from work to install them on my home computer."

Training stresses that we are "not the Software Police," so I let the little act of piracy slide.

Tech Support: "Umm-hmm. What happened?"
Customer: "As I put each disk in it turns out they weren't initialized."
Tech Support: "Do you remember the message exactly, ma'am?"
Customer: (proudly) "I wrote it down. 'This is not a Macintosh disk. Would you like to initialize it?'"
Tech Support: "Er, what happened next?"
Customer: "After they were initialized all the disks appeared to be blank. And now I brought them back to work, and I can't read them in the A: drive; the PC wants to format them. And this is our only set of Windows disks for the whole office. Did I do something wrong?"