Forum »
The Front in Full Effect, yo!

UglinessMan

Starman Jr.
Hi! I'm still alive, believe it or not (shut up, milo, I know you don't care). Instead of trying to summarize all that's happened to me in the last little while (it would be boring anyway), I'll just dive in with something I wish I had come here months ago to talk about. MC Frontalot. For those of you not already hip, he is a rapper in a genre which is increasingly in size and stature, "nerdcore hiphop". The Maritimes' own Jesse Dangerously is part of that world, as are MC Hawking and MC Chris, two rappers that I'm sure some of you folks are familiar with. Anyway, the Front released his first actual album last week, "Nerdcore Rising", and I have to say it's fucking incredible. If you need a list of reasons why you should care, here's a sampling of the lyrics:

"wait, you got my record on bittorrent? fuck!" - Charity Case

"I converted Edward Gorey's lettering into a typeface, befriended vampires on LJ and MySpace" - Goth Girls

"got the Japanese schoolgirl tentacle love, got the furries in a flurry, they been yiffing it up" - pr0n s0ng

"we're geniuses and we're devious! we're seen as fresh on the BBS where we write graf in ASCII files with nasty styles and blinking blocks, this ain't your father's Lincoln Logs!" - Nerdcore Rising (guest vocals by Jesse Dangerously)

"We bust more rhymes than Theodore Geisel did, got more game than a 2600" - Nerdcore Rising (guest vocals by MC Hawking)

"I got a +1 bag of nerdcore hiphop" - Which MC Was That?

"the FPS, RPG or MMPOG, any obsession to blather over by blog, or BBS. Step and possess, hone thy geekishness, your frame rate and frags to date both impress" - Penny Arcade Theme

"I sap clock cycles from the sucker MCs as they struggle to parse" - Braggadocio

So I sent the guy some money, and I got the CD, a t-shirt, and some sweet stickers (one of which has a permanent home on my SP). srsly, check it out.
"Size isn't everything. The whale is endangered, while the ant continues to do just fine." - Bill Vaughan

Atomsk

Starman Super
C'mon man, be civil. No reason to rag on Milo.

Anyways, that artist seems pretty cool. I don't actually know if it's my kind of thing to listen to, but I'll probably eventually hear it when Steve gets it.

EDIT: Just listened to Charity Case, haha, it's pretty awesome. Not something I'd listen to all the time, but it's cool to listen to once in awhile.

I can't be sure, but I think I heard:

"MadDog needs food badly." - Charity Case.
"We're not retreating, we're advancing towards future victory!" - Sarge, Red vs. Blue web series.

sevex

Starman DX
Man Nerdrap is getting huge. You might wanna check out YTCracker Kevin if you haven't already.

Joey used to know someone online that went to school with NerdX, a nerdcore rapper from a few years ago. He was the first I had actually heard.
"Hey, you! If you meet a beautiful, seductive woman who's looking for me, tell her 'hi.' Anyway, I don't think a woman like that would be looking for me." -Guy in Fourside Hotel

UglinessMan

Starman Jr.
No reason to rag on Milo
meh... I was just letting him know that if he still doesn't like me to ignore me, and I'll return the favour.

The lyrics for "Charity Case" are here. I'm not sure what line you're thinking of, since the only mention of 'food' in the song is the last line of the chorus, but "Elf Needs Food Badly" was one of the names he was considering for the album when it was in the early stages.

edit: okay, I hear the part you're talking about now, it sounds like a sample... yeah, I'm not sure what that's from, I'll ask in the MCF forum.
"Size isn't everything. The whale is endangered, while the ant continues to do just fine." - Bill Vaughan

UglinessMan

Starman Jr.
sevex: I hadn't heard of either of those before... YTCracker sounds pretty cool, but that NerdX stuff... well, it's funny at first, but I find the novelty wears off really quickly.

UglinessMan

Starman Jr.
Atomsk: I asked in the forum, and here's what Yook (one of MCF's frequent collaborators) said:

What the announcer voice says is "Frontal needs food badly!" It is a reference to the old Gauntlet game. I usually say "warrior needs food badly" when I get hungry and it is time for lunch.