Forum »
vandalism

UglinessMan

Starman Jr.
okay, i try to avoid long posts, but this is kinda important (and it's not a list). i like grafitti culture, i think well-done grafitti is art, and i even condone vandalism to a certain extent, when the target is deserving, and the act makes an actual statement (as opposed to just smashin' stuff). however, there's been a recent outbreak of vandalism in the Summerside area that is bothering me, and I'm posting this plea in case anyone here knows some of the people involved... i'm not asking anyone to rat on anyone, just to talk to them.

first of all, the war memorial. someone vandalized names of people who died in the war, and messed around with the posts and chains and stuff. this was senseless and terribly disrespectful. i personally am opposed to war in many cases, and i honestly don't know enough about the wars these people were involved in to have an opinion, but they still deserve more respect than that for laying their life down to protect the freedom of people they never met.

second, street mail drop boxes. i understand anti-government sentiments, but the old adage "don't shoot the messenger" definitely applies here. when i got accepted for an internship in the program, i was thinking "aha, i'm finally in a government office, time to find out inside stuff and do covert culture jamming etc etc etc", but i've actually found that Canada Post is the only government institution i can think of that i don't have a problem with. they offer excellent service at decent prices, and considering they have a near monopoly when it comes to basic services, that's pretty impressive. tagging the boxes doesn't really make a statement, it costs money to repair or clean (do you want the price of stamps to go up again?), and there are a LOT of better places in the area (most of these tags have occured in the "uptown" area) for this stuff. some of these tags, i admit, are really well done, but badly placed.

well, i've vented. if you care, please spread the word. if you don't care, just move along and resist the urge to flame me, it won't do either of us any good.
"Size isn't everything. The whale is endangered, while the ant continues to do just fine." - Bill Vaughan

Atomsk

Starman Super
You said it yourself, Senseless Vandilism. I'm sure the people that do talk to vandilists from this site, only talk to Purposeful Vandilism people. Plus... I'm sure way more then half of the people that even look at this site really don't know anyone who Vandilises.

The war Memorial... Thats fucking horrible. Someone should be shot for doing something like that. Those people risked their lives in the war and inncidently lose them as well so we could have a brighter tomorrow. Doing what the vandilists did was horrible and I personally hope they're throw in Jail for a good 20 years.

People have no respect these days...
"We're not retreating, we're advancing towards future victory!" - Sarge, Red vs. Blue web series.

sevex

Starman DX
The graffiti in Summerside blows. I haven't seen any that was any good at all.
"Hey, you! If you meet a beautiful, seductive woman who's looking for me, tell her 'hi.' Anyway, I don't think a woman like that would be looking for me." -Guy in Fourside Hotel

milocat51

Starman Super
The amount of public vandalism in Summerside is nowhere near as rampant as, well, just about any other half decent sized city in existence. I agree that vandalizing a war memorial is a disrespectful and horrendous act, but youth today are simply like that. Things like 'morals' and 'common decency' are values most of my generation is sorely lacking.

I say we should probably be thankful things here are as peaceful as they are. Don't knock a good thing, or a not very bad thing in this case. It could be much worse.
I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work.

UglinessMan

Starman Jr.
The graffiti in Summerside blows. I haven't seen any that was any good at all.

well, the stuff in the water tower is okay, but i wasn't really talking about any good artwork, just tags. like, it's not just someone spraying random scribbles or initials, it's "signature" level tags i've been seeing. and today, i started seeing something new. very poorly done, not on the same caliber of whoever's been doing the previous tags. it says "RST, the way to be" or something like that. anyone know what this is about?
"Size isn't everything. The whale is endangered, while the ant continues to do just fine." - Bill Vaughan

Atomsk

Starman Super
Your guess is as good as ours.
"We're not retreating, we're advancing towards future victory!" - Sarge, Red vs. Blue web series.

Con-Safos

Starman Jr.
I have just noticed you are all talking about the graffiti in summerside if you want to know about graffiti talk to me I know all the guys in the summerside area that do it- That tag on the water tower cost the three guys $600 each and a years probation- and RST is one of my friends so my guess is better than yours
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bike. Then I realised that The Lord doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked him to forgive me. --Emo Philips