Forum »
Anyone wanna buy a PSX?

ioev

Starman DX
No, not the old one, the NEW one. Take a look at those shots... it looks MASSIVE!

Here's a funny thing to note though, built in 120gig hard drive, dvd burner... did sony just name their next home PC the PSX? It's funny how computers always use name brand parts, while consoles go to weird extremes to go against it. New consoles are looking more like bargain PCs everyday. Also, you think that thing will be difficult to pirate from? With built in ethernet, you probably won't even need a pc to start downloading and burning games.

milocat51

Starman Super
There are wildly varying reports depending on the source you look at. For instance, according to Slashdot, the device can connect to the PSP as well as offering USB support. The Register is expecting it to have hard disc video recording functions like TiVo, which wouldn't be surprising since Sony developed the technology. And if you want, here's Reuters report.

I personally don't like this direction console companies are taking. Instead of releasing a new system every five years, we slightly upgrade the same one every two or three. GBA and GBA SP, now PS2 and PSX. I don't have the money for this kinda thing!
I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work.

ioev

Starman DX
More info, from Magicbox:

"Sony announced they will release a new multimedia game console named PSX in Japan by the end of the year. The "X" in PSX stands for "Crossover" and "eXtreme". The new system is basically a set-top box version of PlayStation 2, which includes built-in DVD±RW recorder, TV/BS Tuner, 120GB hard drive, Ethernet / Memory Stick support and more. The machine can be used as a photo server and digital media server in the future....."

So I guess it IS just a computer, using ps2 hardware. Sounds pretty lameass to me, as newer high end hardware (cpus and vid cards) would put it to shame. I guess it's all in the image though.

Gatsu

Starman Super
The way I read it elsewhere is this is the "home media center" they wanted to make the PS3 into, but by making this system, they don't have to pile these extra features into it, (thereby not making it more overpriced). The PS3 can therefore do what it's supposed to do, play games. It's there for people who want that functionality, and that's all - you don't need one to play PS2 games - and presumbably the PSP connection will be available on a standard PS2. It kinda reminds me of the Panasonic GamecubeQ (or whatever it was called).

Btw - PVR systems kick ass. I have one here in Florida, and I don't think I could live without it ;)
-_o

milocat51

Starman Super
I don't need an SP either, but that doesn't stop me from wanting one like crazy. And if I had the cash, I'd foolishly buy one like the corporate cashcow that I am.
I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work.

sevex

Starman DX
I just want a machine to play games! Unless they come up with a feature that can do my laundry for me, I don't want it!
"Hey, you! If you meet a beautiful, seductive woman who's looking for me, tell her 'hi.' Anyway, I don't think a woman like that would be looking for me." -Guy in Fourside Hotel

subpop

Starman Super
PSXbox! HAH!
You! Invaders! Get You the Hot Bullets of Shotgun to Die!

Atomsk

Starman Super
Andrew, you took the words right out of my mouth.
"We're not retreating, we're advancing towards future victory!" - Sarge, Red vs. Blue web series.