Forum »
A point against Loonix Lovers

Dark-Fear

Starman Jr.
Well in-spite of all the security updates etc.. that Microsoft sends out surprisingly Windows isn't the most bug ridden OS and actually Linux is. Information on this conclusion came from: Windows VS Linux
I stare out into the light from the darkness, only to wonder what it is I'm missing. Fear not what can be seen in the light of day, but what lurks in the dark and can not.

UglinessMan

Starman Jr.
it's a matter of perception. they're both buggy, neither is perfect. the problem is when Windows and nearly every other piece of commercial software released these days gets released with bugs so they can get it on the shelves as soon as possible. they offer it as a complete product, then go "oops" and offer you bug fixes (if you're lucky). hardcore linux fanatics view it as an ongoing project, so finding and working out the bugs is part of the process.
"Size isn't everything. The whale is endangered, while the ant continues to do just fine." - Bill Vaughan

Dark-Fear

Starman Jr.
So what yer saying is that stuff for windows just wont admit its a ongoing project and have the boldness to say its final.... solution: all software is a ongoing project .. look we are leet now :)
I stare out into the light from the darkness, only to wonder what it is I'm missing. Fear not what can be seen in the light of day, but what lurks in the dark and can not.

HaLyCoN

Ghost of Starman
Linux is an open source project that is being worked on by tons of people around the globe. It is not being done by a major corporation who pays people heaps of money to work on their operating system. Linux is solely volounteer work by people like you and me who want a good free operating system. Linux is also largely a server operating system, and I find most of the bugs to be inside the GUI. And if you know what youre doing for your server then you dont even need to install the Graphical interface at all. Linux has only started to turn more towards the GUI because most of the computer user population today are so "dummy-ized" by windows and are so used to point-and-click usage. As a server it is great , heaps of the bugs come from GUI mode which I would say is still relatively new to linux. GUI mode for windows is older and been around longer I think. And is still full of bugs. Microsoft is a multi billion dollar corporation maybe more. whereas linux is a group of people working for free. I'd trust the people who work on linux any day over a money grubbing corporation. You also dont have to wait for someone to fix a bug in linux, once someone discovers it, anyone can just write a fix for it. Unlike windows where you can only get a fix from windows.
I want to go home...

sevex

Starman DX
But the issue is, people are actually arguing the fact that this open-source operating system, where joe down the street can produce a bug-fix, is more stable and powerful than Windows.
"Hey, you! If you meet a beautiful, seductive woman who's looking for me, tell her 'hi.' Anyway, I don't think a woman like that would be looking for me." -Guy in Fourside Hotel

milocat51

Starman Super
I thought it was obvious that most companies intentionally release inferior and glitchy software. Microsoft sets the standard as far as this is concerned. So its perfectly understandable that a program created by consumers (who aren't driven by the same perpetual greed) would be much more reliable.
I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work.

Barrett

Starman Super
well I'll just tell you this...for my master's research, Window's isn't nearly powerful enought to run the statistical software I require...only Linux or Unix meet the challenge...but it's a bitch to learn!
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

HaLyCoN

Ghost of Starman
It's only a bitch to learn if it isnt the first operating system you have learned. If you have been using windows for a long time and then try to learn something else like linux it will be hard because you have been, excuse the term, "dummy-ized" by windows.
But if it were the first OS you learned it would be super easy ;)
I want to go home...

sevex

Starman DX
First OS I learned was the Commodore 64 prompt! Then DOS :P
"Hey, you! If you meet a beautiful, seductive woman who's looking for me, tell her 'hi.' Anyway, I don't think a woman like that would be looking for me." -Guy in Fourside Hotel

milocat51

Starman Super
I'm still and always will be most comfortable sitting at a DOS prompt. Its just the years of Windows usage have, as HaLyCoN so elequently puts, "dummy-ized" me. I remember enough to get old games running, but not much more.

Alas, I miss the simple days of DOS...
I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work.