Forum »
Msn Messenger 6

HaLyCoN

Ghost of Starman
This may be old news to some. Anyway MSN Messenger 6 has leaked to various sources on the internet. I've been lucky enough to get a copy of it and have made it available for download from my site. The download is available HERE.
Just incase anyone would like to play with it for the time being until it is released ;)
or you can actually visit my site ryanthecanadian.com and dowlnoad it off the front page. Either way works fine.
**EDIT** Fixed the download issue from the site now
I want to go home...

sevex

Starman DX
Is it Windows XP compatible? And is there anything new to make it worth getting?
"Hey, you! If you meet a beautiful, seductive woman who's looking for me, tell her 'hi.' Anyway, I don't think a woman like that would be looking for me." -Guy in Fourside Hotel

HaLyCoN

Ghost of Starman
Mmhmm, it is xp compatible, although I havent had much time to play with it yet. I know that you can add background images and stuff to your message windows, and you can play tic tac toe ; ) The big blue sidebars with all the BS on them are gone, just play around with it tho, im sure there is alot of stuff to mess with. I'm going to play with it later when I get home from class. The only reason I got it was to mess around.
Tell you what I find out later.
Oh yeah , here is a Linkity That has a couple screen shots, you can get rid of those tabs, but I think that one with the guy is the new "enchanced webcam" feature or something/
I want to go home...

milocat51

Starman Super
Awesome. This new build of Messenger includes all the features it should have had a long time ago. Integrated Webcam support, buddy icons, backgrounds, games... damn, its like a whole new program.

I only have a few concerns. First off, Messenger Plus! obviously doesn't work for it yet. And seeing how long it took them to update for the last MSN... may be a while before those enhanced features return. Not a big deal, since the new Messenger includes some of these things anyway, like chat logging.

Another thing is, this new version rips A LOT of stuff from other messengers, especially AIM. I wonder if that will cause any problems...
I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work.

HaLyCoN

Ghost of Starman
My messenger plus works with messenger 6.
It works at school but not at home , I havent figured out as to why yet. But I will. You know that if any company tries to rag on microsoft about features microsoft will just kill them or something haha.
I want to go home...

milocat51

Starman Super
The only part about Plus that worked for me was the ad removal, and my main window is open very seldom, so that's not really an issue. I was mainly using it for the away messages.
I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work.

HaLyCoN

Ghost of Starman
The background feature works really well with plus on, when you can set the transparency , you can see the whole background even behind your messages, I havent figured out why it will work at school but not here yet though
I want to go home...

subpop

Starman Super
Probably because you need to install plus on the previous version of msn (messenger 4.6 or 5), then you install messenger 6 and it's there. I know it worked for my little brothers computer, and also on mine.
You! Invaders! Get You the Hot Bullets of Shotgun to Die!

milocat51

Starman Super
Plus remained on the toolbar, and a few of the options worked, however it doesn't work with MSN 6. The creator has already said as much. Apparently Microsoft entered some code in this version specifically designed to disable add on software such as Plus. So you might be able to get it partially working, or even luck out and get it running perfect, but it's not supposed to.

HaLyCoN

Ghost of Starman
Hook me up with what operating systems you guys are using anyway. Every Windows XP machine that has Windows Messenger installed by default , plus will not work on. I think it has something to do with that. Windows Messenger wasnt introduced until XP? Plus DOES work with messenger 6 on every Windows 2000 machine ive tried it on. Wondering if the majority of you who also cant get it to work are using a version of windows xp, and the ones of you that do work , was it on windows 2000 or lower?
(this is under the assumption that windows messenger and MSN messenger are different)
I want to go home...