Handhelpd PSX to compete with GBA

Gatsu

Starman Super
Check-a-check it out
Wow.
-_o

Atomsk

Starman Super
I'm fairly interested in that. Its going to be cool in lots of ways..

1. Its going to put pressure on Nintendo, meaning they won't be screwing around making "Adapters" for stuff like the GBA SP, they'll have it already on it.

2. Its going to be atleast abit cool to see another handheld in the gaming market, atleast we'll have abit more choices as long as Sony doesn't screw around with the games and make tons of crap ones and no good ones.
"We're not retreating, we're advancing towards future victory!" - Sarge, Red vs. Blue web series.

milocat51

Starman Super
This won't pressure Nintendo in the least bit. The release of other more powerful handheld's over the years has prompted little change in Nintendo's design, and it's always come out on top. When another company already owns 100% of the market share, competing is extremely difficult. It's been proven that Nintendo's fanbase, not their technology, is what keeps their system alive.

A portable playstation would be cool, granted, however some things are left suspiciously unsaid, like battery life. A device that's running a full color LCD screen as well as a laser to read an optical disk is going to kill batteries.
I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work.

sevex

Starman DX
So instead of making crappy 3d games for GBA, companies can finally make crappy 3d games for a portable Playstation! Whoop-de-doo! I can list off a billion games that will be ported from Playstation already.
"Hey, you! If you meet a beautiful, seductive woman who's looking for me, tell her 'hi.' Anyway, I don't think a woman like that would be looking for me." -Guy in Fourside Hotel

milocat51

Starman Super
All the greatest hits will be ported immediately, I'm guessing probably at launch. That means Tactics, MGS, all the FF's, Soul Blade...

CRAP! Now I want one of these things!!
I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work.

ioev

Starman DX
yes, i must say, a console that depends on you rebuying old games that you've already played to death, that sounds like a great idea. though no doubt we'll see some original titles, i can honestly say, it'll bomb.

unless of course, people figure out a way to pirate games for it, in which case, it'll suceed!

milocat51

Starman Super
A good chunk of the GBA games are SNES remakes too. Just cuz a system has the same specs as another doesn't mean it'll all be remakes. Sony has a decent chunk of developers behind them that'll probably leap on the portable bandwagon, so we may see some original titles. At the very least it'll be a change from the traditional Nintendo format.

I personally don't have a problem with buying the same games over again simply for portability. And I'm not exactly saying this system will succeed in the first place, after all, breaking into the portable market has been shown to be VERY difficult. Many companies just as established as Sony have tried, and failed, sometimes repeatedly.

They say it'll use 'specially designed' optical disks, so odds are there will be a way to convert a regular optical disk to work with the system.

EDIT: IGN (eugh) has more information on the PSP (Playstation Portable)

Gatsu

Starman Super
Actually, the article only says that it'll have the same amount of power that the original PSX had. They're probably expecting all original software for it (and some remakes)
-_o

Gatsu

Starman Super
I posted more information in the tomes story - it looks like it's going to be quite a bit different than the PSX - at the very least, the screen is the wrong dimensions for PSX game porting -- and it's 16:9 :)
-_o