Forum »
My Virtual Charlottetown beef.

Andrew

Starman Jr.
Last year the City of Charlottetown and Industry Canada announced a 9 million dollar web project for the Charlottetown Region. The project said to improve city web presents and offer some new online services such as paying parking fines and utility bills online and finding information about the city and lots of other things around Charlottetown with ease.

Well the project is all launched now. And to say the least I am very disappointed. Information is almost impossible to find. For example you can find the contact info for city employees from administration right down to who cleans the police departments HQ, but you can not get personalized contact information for a councilor, just a shared email for all councilors.

Take a look around Virtual Charlottetown, and ALL the sites it has. The first plan was to build a hub called Town Square 2 that would link everything together.

Town Square 2 - www.townsquare.ca
City of Charlottetown - wwww.city.charlottetown.pe.ca
Island Libraries - www.islandlibraries.ca
CADC - www.cadcpei.com
GCACC - www.charlottetownchamber.com

ioev

Starman DX
Honestly, I'd be ashamed to have developed that site for that much money.

sevex

Starman DX
I'd love to have that contract. All to myself.
"Hey, you! If you meet a beautiful, seductive woman who's looking for me, tell her 'hi.' Anyway, I don't think a woman like that would be looking for me." -Guy in Fourside Hotel

Andrew

Starman Jr.
The web sites didn't cost 9 million. They bought other stuff too. The city chambers that council meets in is was rigged up with cameras and sound and a web cast server, so people can watch council meetings via the web. An electronic booth is set up in city hall for people to get information on city services. Council now votes on little tablet type things, rather then the old way of 'yay; nay'.

But with 9 million spent, I as a Charlottetown resident don't feel my life was made any easier. The money would have been better spent on a transit system, if the city had the option to due so.

therecruit

Starman Jr.
my vote: it sucks.

My Boss told me to check it out when it first hit the public and I expected so much more. It was nothing at all what I expected. It was bragged up but not delivered.

I was told how the money was divided up but I forget the exact numbers now. All i know is that somebody got ripped big time. Unless they have plans for future updates soon, I dont' think it's going to serve any useful purpose.
therecruit

Andrew

Starman Jr.
Microsites are UGLY!!! Who would want one of them? I could pull a nicer looking microsite out of my ass!

Exsample

Why could they not have a nice website like Startford or Cornwall or Summerside?

sevex

Starman DX
Well, those Microsites are free aren't they? But I spose we've all seen a few better looking free sites anyway :P
"Hey, you! If you meet a beautiful, seductive woman who's looking for me, tell her 'hi.' Anyway, I don't think a woman like that would be looking for me." -Guy in Fourside Hotel

Andrew

Starman Jr.
No... They cost I think $15.00 a month or something like that...

sevex

Starman DX
Oh, I guess there's a special on where you can get them for free temporarily.

If I were them, I'd have made a user configurable site template script, and allowed people to add text and images themselves, and have a free signup. (as a service to the community.) But maybe that's just me.

Andrew

Starman Jr.
I took some time to actually use islandlibraries.ca today. If I had a membership I would be sure to use this system offten. You can search for books and it will tell you if the book is in, on call or out. You can put a request on the book so once it is checked back in its on call for you...