Forum »
Fourside Gets Some Buffs!

sevex

Starman DX
So what if it's been three years since the last post. I've been bored lately and felt like doing some website stuff, so I decided to put some time into updating Fourside.

Round one happened around February 18th, and involved updating the site hosting and code to PHP 7.1. Nothing too serious but it may have improved loading speeds and memory use a little bit.

The second round of updates happened February 22ndish and had me combining many mysql queries into single mega-queries on a few pages. It had been on my "to-do" list for many, many years, but for the longest time the solution seemed impossible. After several days of persistence, however, I managed to figure it out! (I also realized I wasn't using my indexes to their full potential.) Not sure if it'll cause any tangible improvement on the site, but it sure feels good to have finally done it.

Round three landed maybe February 26th. Ever since this layout was created, back in 2010 or whenever, the site has been using tables and images to create rounded edges, which is a pretty terrible way of doing things these days. So I went through and updated most of the pages with extremely sloppy CSS layouts and styles. It's still far from perfect, and a few pages still use tables in some spots, but it's probably better than it was.

Then today was the "final" round! (Final aside from any bugs or tweaks I might do in the next few days.) For this one I created a little modal system in Javascript, and replaced the many slow-loading pop-up windows with it. I remember first attempting it back before 2010, but gave up cause it was tricky and I though it might be too big a change. Well this site couldn't be more dead, so there's no longer any harm in big changes. So far it seems to work alright, and I'm quite happy with it! (Please let me know if you see any bugs though.)

And that's about it! With any luck this'll have given me my web development fix for at least a couple weeks.
"Hey, you! If you meet a beautiful, seductive woman who's looking for me, tell her 'hi.' Anyway, I don't think a woman like that would be looking for me." -Guy in Fourside Hotel

sevex

Starman DX
Bonus updates! I've started making parts of the interface responsive to browser width. This means the site will accommodate smaller screens, like cellphones! (It's still far from perfect, but a bit better than it had been before.)
"Hey, you! If you meet a beautiful, seductive woman who's looking for me, tell her 'hi.' Anyway, I don't think a woman like that would be looking for me." -Guy in Fourside Hotel

milocat51

Starman Super
Isn't it crazy, I'm just wondering today if this site's still running and sure enough you're still plugging away on it. Pretty cool.
I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work.

sevex

Starman DX
Hah cool! Every now and then I'll think maybe it's time to just take it down, but then I'll get some sudden impulse to do some website stuff and it's nice to have something to work on.

subpop

Starman Super
I'd be pretty upset if you did. I still use the site for my favorite links. :P
You! Invaders! Get You the Hot Bullets of Shotgun to Die!

ryan

Starman Jr.
Buffs! I occasionally come here too. Never say anything, but yeah.

Though not used to clearing cache to update my avatar after updating it, that's been a while.
"Why is the rum gone?!".

sevex

Starman DX
Hah it's a reunion! Where are you at now Ryan?

ryan

Starman Jr.
When I posted that I was in posted to Valcartier, QC. I'm currently posted to Kingston, ON and tentatively being posted to Germany in the summer.
"Why is the rum gone?!".

sevex

Starman DX
Man, all over the place! I checked out your photos on Instagram, really cool stuff. Guess you'll have some great scenery if you go to Germany. Think you'll ever end up back on PEI?

ryan

Starman Jr.
I wanted to visit pei over christmas break like I normally do every year. But this year I was placed on a high readiness team and I was not able to go anywhere. I have a short break in March, which normally I wouldn't go to PEI but I may this time just because I won't be seeing anyone for 4 years if I go to Germany.
"Why is the rum gone?!".