Forum »
Brand New Real-Time Header Display!

sevex

Starman DX
You may have noticed that the header looks a little different today. Ever since I created that old two-way day & night setup (potentially five years ago) I've been meaning to make something more complex.

My original plan was to use a Flash animation, but it turned out to be a bit too difficult to learn. Last week I decided to try out this <canvas> tag that was standardized for HTML5, and it turned out to be just what I needed.

So now, after somewhere around ten hours worth of effort, we have a real-time header!

It's still very much in development so there could be bugs, it might make your browser a bit slow (even though it only refreshes once a second), and at times it may look a bit bland. I'll be tweaking and optimizing it in the next couple weeks, but if anyone sees anything really out of place please let me know. (And grab a screenshot if possible.)

Also if anyone has any suggestions definitely post em. My first changes are to have sunset and sunrise adjust for the winter months and maybe add some clouds, but I'd like to keep making improvements and turn this into something really cool.
"Hey, you! If you meet a beautiful, seductive woman who's looking for me, tell her 'hi.' Anyway, I don't think a woman like that would be looking for me." -Guy in Fourside Hotel