Forum »
Top fives of 2008

sevex

Starman DX
The age old Fourside tradition returns! List your top five of something from 2008. Be it music, movies, video games, or something totally random!

My Top Five Games:

So this'll be pretty much just a list of the only five games I played over the course of 2008, and pretty much all for DS.

5. Etrian Odyssey 2
4. The World Ends With You
3. Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
2. Rock Band (1 and 2)
1. Mother 3 - This was a given. A game from 2006 is my game of the year for 2008. Even though it took me longer than I expected to get through, Mother 3 was a fantastic game.

My Top Five Albums:

5. Matt Pryor - Confidence Man
4. You Me and Everyone We Know - Party for the Grown and Sexy EP
3. Foo Fighters - Echoes Silence Patience and Grace
2. The Reign of Kindo - Rythm Chord and Melody
1. Lightspeed Champion - Falling of the Lavender Bridge
"Hey, you! If you meet a beautiful, seductive woman who's looking for me, tell her 'hi.' Anyway, I don't think a woman like that would be looking for me." -Guy in Fourside Hotel

Moik

Starman Super
Top 5 Things That Stores Sold Which Were Expired

1. Aquafina Plus. Any store which sold this after December 1st was almost guaranteed to be selling juice which had expired on that date. They started expiring on shelves as early as September 15th, and would stay on the shelf expired for even three months. I got expired Aquafina Plus for Christmas in my stocking.
2. Pepsi. They did a litle better at barely keeping this shelved stock inside the expiry timeframe than Aquafina (A Pepsi brand), but many people learned this year that pop actually can expire, especially when they got it flat from the ATC vending machine.
3. Anything On Sale At Sobey's. Seriously. If it's on sale, check it. You won't be disappointed.
4. Munchos. It appears chips only have a three-month shelf life, and Munchos may possibly be a slow seller. It happened to get a little past at some places.
5. Cheez Whiz. I didn't know it could expire. Seriously, I didn't. But I accidentally bought expired Cheez Whiz. The next time I was at the store I check and they had a whole crate of expired Cheez Whiz sitting there.

On the up side, it really only seemed like snack foods were what expired the most commonly. The exceptions were things like the Aquafina, yogurt, separated eggs, and bread (which is almost unavoidable). So it may be that Islanders recently had a huge shift in healthy eating which the sotres didn't catch immediately.
Hyper-advanced aliens might not have to send their interstellar battle fleet to conquer Earth, it might only take three bored undergraduate aliens with borrowed lab equipment.

Atomsk

Starman Super
Top 5 Game List:

5. Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 - Great game, even if I have yet to finish the last boss in the first game.

4. Gears of War 2 - There were far too many 'lol' moments in this game for it not to be in this list. Probably some of the funniest stuff I've heard in a videogame since Portal.

3. Castle Crashers - This game is always incredibly fun to play with a group of people, I'd probably have started playing it again at the moment if my xbox wasn't busted.

2. Metal Gear Solid 4 - Beautiful, absolutely beautiful game. Some of the textures were lacking in areas, but for the most part it was a very pretty game. Though that's not where it's at. Any fan of the series going through this game is hit with so much nostalgia that you might slip into a happy coma. Definitely one of the best games of 2008.

1. Left 4 Dead - Oh Valve, thank you. This game is such a beautiful zombie apocolypse game. Pretty much what Resident Evil Outbreak could have been if it had been released in this generation instead of last. The mix of fast paced action, fast zombies, and a sense of "running for your life" makes this game an adrenaline rush everytime you play it. It's not without it's downsides, but those are usually fault of the players instead of the game.

Right up there in quality and fun with Portal.

Top 5 Movie List:

5. Wanted - Pretty much the new "matrix" type movie.

4. Tropic Thunder- Pretty sure everyone has seen this funny movie.

3. Wall-E - C'mon it's the new pixar movie. I don't think I heard a single bad thing said by anyone when we left the theatre that night.

2. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Brad Pitt does a fantastic job with this movie. It's fairly long at two and three quarter hours, but it's definitely a good watch.

1. The Dark Knight - What can I say? Awesome characters, awesome movie.
"We're not retreating, we're advancing towards future victory!" - Sarge, Red vs. Blue web series.

Barrett

Starman Super
My top five albums of 2008

5. Coldplay - Viva La Vida. I know this is somewhat unoriginal of a choice, but I found it enjoyable...especially the title track.

4. Fall Out Boy - Folie A Deux. Only really heard this for the first time at the very end of 2008 (thanks Joe!) but almost every song sounds like a single.

3. Kings of Leon - Only By The Night. It's original, catchy, and strong songwriting throughout the album.

2. hey rosetta! - Into Your Lungs. Great band from Newfoundland who have soaring vocals with great songwriting...

1. Snow Patrol - A Hundred Million Suns. A little peppier than their last album, but just as strong IMHO.
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines

sevex

Starman DX
I really liked the new Coldplay too. So much better than their previous album but still had a couple weak songs.
"Hey, you! If you meet a beautiful, seductive woman who's looking for me, tell her 'hi.' Anyway, I don't think a woman like that would be looking for me." -Guy in Fourside Hotel

ioev

Starman DX
I almost forgot to post my top 5! Hmmmmmmmmmm...

5. Flight of the Conchords - Flight of the Conchords
How can you not love this album! Has mostly all of the great songs from the show, catchy, fun, and awesome fun to sing along with.

4. Matt Pryor - Confidence Man
So I'm a sucker for anything Matt Pryor releases, who the hell isn't?

3. You, Me, and Everyone We Know - Party for the Grown and Sexy EP / So Young, So Insane EP
They sound a bit too much like Say Anything for some peoples tastes, but hey, if Max says it's okay, I'm game. Great powerpunk with some really good hooks and vocals. These kids are going places for sure.

2. Empires - Empires
Noel actually suggested this one to me, and I was pretty skeptical, it being a completely free to download album and all. But that's probably the theme behind this album: catch you off guard and smash your face in with fantastic anthemy rock. Great vocals, great groove, this was my soundtrack of the summer for sure.

1. Falloutboy - Follie A Deux
Hahaha! I love FOB! Infinity On High had it's lulls, and some annoying production, but Follie A Deux is candy coated pop hook awesomeness from start to finish.

Honorable Mentions:
Ben Folds - Way to Normal
Everlea - Everlea
N.E.R.D. - Seeing Sounds
The Black Ghosts - The Black Ghosts
Van She - V

sevex

Starman DX
Is "Sello Tape" on the actual FOTC album? I don't remember it being there, and that's like, one of the best songs!

ioev

Starman DX
Nah, it's not on there. Neither is "I'm not crying" which is too bad. And "cheer up murray"... and the intro tune...

Yeah, in hindsight I think they could have cut "Prince of Parties" and put all those on instead. "Brett you've got it goin' on" may have fit too.