Forum »
A puzzle:

ioev

Starman DX
(Puzzle from a site with hundreds):

Three men go to a cheap motel, and the desk clerk charges them a sum of $30.00 for the night. The three of them split the cost ten dollars each. Later the manager comes over and tells the desk clerk that he overcharged the men, since the actual cost should have been $25.00. The manager gives the bellboy $5.00 and tells him to give it to the men. The bellboy, however, decides to cheat the men and pockets $2.00, giving each of the men only one dollar.

Now each man has paid $9.00 to stay for the night, and 3 x $9.00 = $27.00. The bellboy has pocketed $2.00. But $27.00 + $2.00 = $29.00. Where is the missing $1.00? WTF?

Atomsk

Starman Super
I guess I don't get the joke/puzzle.. because you added it up wrong.

$27.00 is the amount the guys paid with the two dollars taken away by the Bellhop.

They only really paid $25.00 dollars each. So it's $27.00 dollars plus the $3.00 that they are still going to receive from the bellhop.

$25.00 + $2.00 = $27.00 + $3.00 = $30.00

EDIT: Or I guess the answer could be, "In his other hand/pocket." or something to that effect.
"We're not retreating, we're advancing towards future victory!" - Sarge, Red vs. Blue web series.

ioev

Starman DX
Good work!

milocat51

Starman Super
Not the best one I've seen, to simplify:

The manager gives the bellboy $5.00 and tells him to give it to the men. The bellboy, however, decides to cheat the men and pockets $2.00, giving each of the men only one dollar.

$5 - $2 = $3. He's giving each a buck fitty back, notta buck.

EDIT: Oops, there's three men. No wonder that didn't make sense. Noel's right, in his conveluted way.
I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work.

sevex

Starman DX
Bah you guys are over-analyzing it.

$27.00 + $2.00 = $29.00 is NOT how it goes.

It should be $27.00 - $2.00 = $25.00.
"Hey, you! If you meet a beautiful, seductive woman who's looking for me, tell her 'hi.' Anyway, I don't think a woman like that would be looking for me." -Guy in Fourside Hotel

Moik

Starman Super
The missing dollar is in the bellboy's pocket; with the OTHER missing dollar.
Hyper-advanced aliens might not have to send their interstellar battle fleet to conquer Earth, it might only take three bored undergraduate aliens with borrowed lab equipment.