Forum »
Possible cause for WWII with Eastlink.

Dark-Fear

Starman Jr.
jericho

join:2001-07-20
Halifax, NS
eastlink throttling all protocols on there 10mbit package??
well i do know they throttle nntp(newserver) to 4mbits, they say they throttle it at 5mbits but its really 4mbits, now there ftp protocol seems to be throttled as well as i use to be able to get almost my full 10mbits with like 3 simutaneous downloads off ftp servers but lately they seem to be throttled to like 5 mbits as nomatter how many download slots i open the total speeds never go over 620kb/s. Something is definately wrong with this as since we pay for 10mbit line we should not be throttled. They admit to throttling there newserver which is bs. whats the point of offering a 10mbit line if there going to damn well throttle all protocols to 4-5mbits???its all bs.when i first to the 10mbit service it was smokin fast but the last 3 or 4 months they seem to be throttling all protocols now.

A friend of mine is claiming he has encountered this first hand and if soo I will not be impressed and will be forced to start a new volley of attacks.
I stare out into the light from the darkness, only to wonder what it is I'm missing. Fear not what can be seen in the light of day, but what lurks in the dark and can not.

sevex

Starman DX
Joey says: I can definitely agree that if they're throttling, it's really a matter of false advertising. Someone should definitely start a class action lawsuit against these companies to start a precedent; where if it's not a 10mbit line in any specific condition, this has to be directly advertised. The average user will never be aware of it, but they have to understand that there are still net savy users out there, and we have to be advertised to fairly as well.
"Hey, you! If you meet a beautiful, seductive woman who's looking for me, tell her 'hi.' Anyway, I don't think a woman like that would be looking for me." -Guy in Fourside Hotel

milocat51

Starman Super
Unfortunately, when you agree to a service like Eastlink's, you surrender the ability to enter a claim like that. Sure, you can go to arbitration, and lose. Because, in their contract, like every service provider, they reserve the right to monitor and change their service to protect it's integrity.

We have no rights when it comes to our series of tubes.
I'm no hero. Never was, never will be. I'm just an old killer, hired to do some wet work.

Dark-Fear

Starman Jr.
well, if they get enough feedback most times they do change there tune on the matter. As for "throttling" specific protocols, they do make reference to their entitlement to do so. The following is quoted from Eastlink.ca

[Quote]

For moderate-to-heavy Internet users , looking for the fastest possible solution for their interactive services and downloads of media-rich video or audio files. Surf with the fastest in NS and PEI.

[/Quote]

Now this seems like false/ deceptive and could be grounds for action. I mean people purchase fast internet not for loading webpages .001 seconds faster, but for the use of file sharing applications. Honestly they have been doing things like this on and off and its really becomming annoying because its not even a matter of going over a limit and being "throttled" its a all around thing.
I stare out into the light from the darkness, only to wonder what it is I'm missing. Fear not what can be seen in the light of day, but what lurks in the dark and can not.

Moik

Starman Super
Do they have their ToS/EULA anywhere random people can look at it?
Hyper-advanced aliens might not have to send their interstellar battle fleet to conquer Earth, it might only take three bored undergraduate aliens with borrowed lab equipment.

Dark-Fear

Starman Jr.
its buried somewhere under "About Us" I think...