The 3DS received an update today that enables themes! I was pretty sure these won't gonna show up for a while, so it was a bit of a surprise.
By default there are a few color variation themes, which are actually kinda dull, but there are a whole bunch of more stylized, or game related themes in the "Theme Shop" for $0.99 or $1.99. I'm totally gonna get an Animal Crossing theme to match my Animal Crossing 3DS. (Sadly, they didn't launch with the Animal Crossing theme, but that's alright, I'm used to waiting.)
The system update isn't just about themes though, it also features:
• You can now take screenshots of your Home Menu. (To help promote theme sales I guess?)
• The old brightness menu has been updated to give you quick access to your themes, the 3DS image share and the system settings.
• The eShop product page layout has been updated. It's different, maybe better.
• You can now access those top Home Menu options with the controls. (But it takes two taps instead of one if you still use touch.)
• Various improvements to system stability!
I can't actually find any information about the American theme selection, but here's a link to the Japanese 3DS themes page
"Hey, you! If you meet a beautiful, seductive woman who's looking for me, tell her 'hi.' Anyway, I don't think a woman like that would be looking for me." -Guy in Fourside Hotel