Forum »
Rabbit Jumping!

sevex

Starman DX
For the first time ever, Rabbit Jumping is available for public download!

This side-scrolling adventure is the result of me having a bit too much free time last Summer, combined with a long-standing goal to learn how to program video games.

It was created using C++ and the Allegro video-game library, but all of the game engines like tiling, scrolling and hit-detection are hand-coded. You may notice some frame rate issues as you play. That's something I'd love to fix, but I'm not really sure how. (Game timers are new to me, and I'm not sure how accurate the one included with Allegro is.)

You'll likely also notice there's no music in the game. It originally contained sweet midi files of NES music (including the Battletoads pause theme), but I didn't feel right releasing it as my own creation when it contained other people's work. (Not counting the sound effects, those are legit.)

So anyway please give this game a shot and let me know what you think! I'd really like to keep going with this indie-game creation thing, but I need some inspiration to get me going on a newer, more advanced project. (Likely using Flash or SDL instead of Allegro for the next one.)

Oh and if anyone manages to actually complete all five stages, definitely let me know. And grab a screenshot of your final time as you'll likely be the first person to make it all the way through.
"Hey, you! If you meet a beautiful, seductive woman who's looking for me, tell her 'hi.' Anyway, I don't think a woman like that would be looking for me." -Guy in Fourside Hotel

sevex

Starman DX
Completely out of the blue, I've uploaded a new version of Rabbit Jumping with some fantastic new improvements!

Number 1 on the list is the addition of a completely original soundtrack composed, by our friend Shaun Bader, in pxtune! (The sound engine created by Pixel for Cave Story.)

If you haven't yet made it to level 5, you have a very good reason to give it another shot. The music for that stage is fantastic and deserves to be heard. (Level 4 is also quite awesome, in case you're not good enough to make it to the end.)

Other changes include:

• The addition of icons for the taskbar and titlebar.
• Difficulty ramp up! The starting lives and bonus lives have been reduced, but there are checkpoints.

If you're too lazy to scroll up a bit, download the game here (1.2 megabytes) and give it a shot! It supports game controllers automatically so if you have one of those you might as well use it.

Comments and feedback are welcome!
"Hey, you! If you meet a beautiful, seductive woman who's looking for me, tell her 'hi.' Anyway, I don't think a woman like that would be looking for me." -Guy in Fourside Hotel

sevex

Starman DX
I just updated the download with a little bug-fix so anyone that got it yesterday may wanna grab it again. (Joey found some weird off-screen collision.)

sevex

Starman DX
I know this is totally old news, but I fixed a few bugs and updated the download with a new version. Here are the details:

• Fixed a graphic inconsistency in the jump graphic, which was causing the hit box to be larger than normal. This will make some jumps just a tad easier.

• Fixed a really bad variance in the jump height. Now jumps will always have the potential to reach the max height which will make many parts of the game slightly easier. (This was such a bad bug...)

The game animations are still very jittery at times which, as far as I can tell, is not related to processing or framerate issues. I'm somewhat determined to figure it out though, so maybe I'll have an actual final release sometime soon.

sevex

Starman DX
I was bored today so I made a few changes to Rabbit Jumping and updated the download in the main post. They are as follows:

• Changed the back-dash button to C instead of space, since there are apparently limitations to how many keys can be pressed along with space.

• Changed the start, pause, and unpause buttons to Enter, so that there's consistency with the button used on a controller.

• Added a cheat code! I won't say exactly what it is, but it gives you 30 lives, so that should make it easy enough to figure out.

• Fixed a bug (sorta) that allowed the player to hold left and right on a keyboard and keep moving.

sevex

Starman DX
Found some bugs tonight, then fixed them.

• The level 5 music now plays again. Not sure why I broke it in the first place.

• The pause menu will no longer appear on the level intro screen. It will instead display as soon as the level starts.

• The game should no longer crash when it loses focus right after starting a new game. (This was weird.)

• Very minor change to the game timing. Not sure if it'll have any actual effect.

sevex

Starman DX
A few weeks ago I noticed that the game actually supports an Xbox 360 controller, but it made the button layout all wonky.

Since pretty much everyone uses an Xbox 360 compatible controller these days I've remapped the buttons and upload a new version. Should be more fun to play now. I also changed the back dash button to a trigger, which makes it easier to do cool tricks with it.